Wednesday, May 16, 2007

st. brendan

the 16th of may, the feast of st. brendan, is one of my favourites. it was on the 16th of may a.d.2002 that i set forth on a journey by kayak, named brendan, that would change my life, introducing me to the life of a hermit and showing me the wonderful oneness of all creation. there is indeed link to a photograph of me in that kayak on the net.

the story of brendan continues to inspire me. last year, when i first came to the ozarks to "listen to the wind words," i brought with me celtic daily prayer ( the northumbria community, ed. harper san francisco, 2002). in it (pp. 191-193) were these words for "brendan--in exploration of a vision:"

"lord, i will trust you,
help me to journey beyond the familiar
and into the unknown.
give me the faith to leave old ways
and break fresh ground with you.

christ of the mysteries, can i trust you
to be stronger than each storm in me?

do i still yearn for your glory to lighten on me?

do i show others the care you've given me.

i determine amidst all uncertainty
always to trust.

i choose to live beyond regret,
and let you recreate my life.

i believe you will make a way for me
and provide for me,
if only i trust you
and obey.

i will trust in the darkness and know
that my times are still in your hand.

i will believe you for my future,
chapter by chapter, until all the story is written.

focus my mind and my heart upon you,
my attention always on you without alteration.

strengthen me with your blessing
and appoint to me the task.

teach me to live with eternity inview.
tune my spirit to the music of heaven.

feed me,
and, somehow,
make my obedience count for you.

the words seem just as good this year.

No comments: