Monday, April 07, 2008

third sunday of easter: heartburn

usually on monday mornings i try to post something about the previous sunday's gospel. this post is no exception, but it is a little more personal than some.

the gospel is the story of the first supper: unrecognized jesus and two disciples meet on the road. they hear him tell of all the scriptures that testify of him, and then recognize him in the breaking of the bread. "did not our hearts burn within us while he talked to us along the way, while he opened the scriptures to us?"

i was delighted that an old friend was in town, a priest with whom i had worked twenty-five years ago. bob was at the parish breakfast. then at the bible study after breakfast, another friend said, "i like this guy," in reference to something bob had said. "i like him, too," i said, "but when i was a substitute teacher, i found that anyone can be brilliant for three days." in my mind was, "but i worked with bob for years, and his brilliance lasts." but those words were not said.

afterwards, after i had probably been too anxious to agree with bob--not that i disagreed with him--i had a bit of heartburn. i realized that i was jealous. bob has had a very easily-defined career: rector, canon-to-the-ordinary, rector, head of a dioscesan taskforce. at breakfast i had been called once again a prophet. what has my career been? semi-pelagian semi-prophetic semi-ornamental semi-hermit. how does that look on a resume? indeed i had started to call this post "the loneliness of the long-distance prophet." in my better moments i am happy to recognize my calling; blessed even (macarius has both meanings, after all.) i know that

"the measuring line marks out delightful places for me,
for me the heritage is superb, indeed." (psalm 16:6)

before the day was over, it had become one of my better times. edie reminded us in her sermon that "every good and every perfect gift comes down from the father of lights" (james 1:17), and as we broke the bread, we sang:

"one bread, one body, one lord of all,
one cup of blessing which we bless.
and we, though many throughout the world,
we are one body in this one lord." (john b. foley, after paul of tarsus)

of course! bob's gifts are mine, and my gifts are his; or rather, bob's gifts are ours and mine are ours. apart from the vine, the one lord, whose branches and members we are, we are nothing.

"so my heart exults, my very soul rejoices,
my body, too, will rest securely,
for you will not abandon my son to sheol,
nor allow the one you love to see the pit;
you will reveal the path of life to me,
give me unbounded joy in your presence,
and at your right hand everlasting pleasures." (psalm 16:9-11)

No comments: